Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Decided to top my January great scare performance this weekend.

A few of you may have heard that I have had a recent health scare.  If you read my prior post in January you learned about my PSC diagnosis and the challenges of liver transplantation.

This months edition will dip back over 2 decades ago when I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  In 1991 it was bit generally well known and there was no world wide web yet to learn about it.  It's an inflammatory bowel disease that can range from mild to terrifying.  Over the part few weeks I took that accelerated journey.

It started with a colangitis attack (liver infection) about 3 weeks back.  I took a well of antibiotics (yes, finishing entire bottle).  One of the dangers of antibiotics is a new infection that springs up right after the antibiotics stop...it s call "c diff" and it is incredibly dangerous.  I developed a c diff infection but didn't realize it for over a week (was traveling in California).  On Friday I got home to Atlanta and went to the doctor who confirmed her cdiff diagnosis over the weekend and got me started on new antibiotics.  Unfortunately, they didn't work in time and on Sunday night my colon perforated spilling the contents off my bowls into my abdomen.  On a pain scale of 1-10 this is a twelve.  I couldn't breath and thought I might suffocate.  It was 3 am and Kristen quickly got me to the e.r. where we waited in line (not patiently, but we waited).  I finally saw a doctor about 60 -90 minutes later and was told I needed surgery immediately.  Monday morning the removed my colon and have me a illeostomy bag that hangs from my abdomen.  Today I managed to get internet access and get my breathing tube removed.  It's still painful to talk much, but comments and email is welcome....but the single best thing you can do for me is fill this out.

http://organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/stateregistries.html

Thank you and I will add health updates here so that you don't have to learn by word of mouth. 

For those of you who dig scars here you go.  The loop goes around my belly button.

Love,
Matt

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Matt, hang in there my friend! I'm hoping for a quick recovery for you. It was great seeing you and your family at the picnic. Glad we all got to share that fun day.

Bobby said...

Love you, Quin! Told ya to stop liftin' those 747s by yourself.

David said...

Hang in there buddy. I would gladly give you part of my liver but I would not recommend it after years of abuse :). Seriously, I am praying for you and your family for healing and comfort.

Beth Roscrow said...

And I am so glad to hear it directly from YOU. I want time to go by fast this next week so you can be feeling better. I love you, Matt!

Unknown said...

Matt this is Penny. This truly broke my heart as I read it. I can only imagine the pain you were in, 90 minutes to see a dr, good grief. Kudos to Kristen for getting you there and for all she does for you and yalls boys. Dad and Uncle Ben got almost there, and for whatever reason were told to go home. I am sure it was for the best. I talked to Davey from 2 am last night until 330. He couldnt sleep from worry, and frankly I couldnt either. We talked about how tough you were, and what a good person you are. Matt I have so many fond memories of you and Davey from childhood. Braves games, with my two older boy cousins. The fair in Indiana where you played darts to win a Floyd tshirt. Hanging out in Michelle's basement. Davey and I truly re-connected as we talked about the man you have become and how you truly didnt deserve any of this. Please know we love you, and are thinking of you and your immediate family. I cant wait to hug your neck. Be strong and get as well as you can. Love cousin Penny

Chris Mills said...

Matt, I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering again. All our thoughts are with you and your family, wishing you a speedy recovery. Millsy and Nikki

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I hear a habanero is good for that. I know you are handling everything, but please let us know if there is anything we can do. Tell Kristen we are at her disposal.

Alan Welch said...

You handled it with grace when it first showed up and I know you'll keep fighting this confounded disease in spite of this setback. Hang in there!

Matthew Quinlan said...

Good news...got out of icu last night and tasted a solid piece off fruit today....Was amazing!

Matthew Quinlan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Matt, Hang in there. Just registered donor. I know the chance is small, but that's what I can do.

Unknown said...

Hang in there man. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Matthew Quinlan said...

Made it home last night from the hospital. I have a PICC line installed (home IV), an illeostomy bag, and a big drain in my abdomen which continues to carry off fluid from the original surgery or the presumed abscess from shortly after. Fevers have reduced and I'm feeling pretty damn good (something about being in my own home that automatically boosts my overall health). More details to come in a future blogpost but for the moment, I'm outta the woods :) Thanks everyone for the love/support.

Steve Mayzak said...

Hey Matt, just heard about your latest challenge today, very glad to hear you are back home and feeling better! I hope to see you soon, need to get back to Atlanta soon. I know I'm across the country but let me know if there is anything I can do. Even if you need someone to school you in a game of Halo!

Mrs Sharon Sim said...

I am Dr Purva Pius, a private money lender. I give out loans with an interest rate of 3% per annual and within the amount of $1000.00 to $500,000,000.00 as the loan offer. 100% Project Funding with secured and unsecured loans are available. We are guaranteed in giving out financial services to our numerous clients all over the world. With our flexible lending packages, loans can be processed and funds transferred to the borrower within the shortest time possible. We operate under clear and understandable terms and we offer loans of all kinds to interested clients, firms, companies, and all kinds of business organizations, private individuals and real estate investors. Just complete the form below and get back to us as we expect your swift and immediate response. EMAIL : {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

URGENT LOAN OFFER WHATSAPP +918929509036 said...

Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us (creditloan11@gmail.com)